- 2 tablespoons coconut oil (for searing chicken)
- 1 pound of boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 3/4 cup red enchilada sauce (Recipe for the sauce can be found HERE)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1– 4 oz can diced green chiles
- 1 whole avocado, diced
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped pickled jalapenos
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 roma tomato, chopped
Optional: serve over plain cauliflower rice for a more complete meal!
In a pot or dutch oven over medium heat melt the coconut oil. Once hot, sear chicken thighs until lightly brown.
Pour in enchilada sauce and water then add onion and green chiles. Reduce heat to a simmer and cover. Cook chicken for 17-25 minutes or until chicken is tender and fully cooked through to at least 165 degrees internal temperature.
Careully remove the chicken and place onto a work surface. Chop or shred chicken then add it back into the pot. Let the chicken simmer uncovered for an additional 10 minutes to absorb flavor and allow the sauce to reduce a little.
To Serve- top with avocado, cheese, jalapeno, sour cream, tomato, and any other desired toppings.